Elna Johnson, Class of 1919, a member of the Eta Chapter of Kappa Delta at Hunter College in New York City, transferred to Cornell University in the Fall of 1916. She roomed in Sage College on Central Campus (now the Johnson Graduate School of Management) where she interested a group of her friends in forming a local chapter of Kappa Delta. The Omega Chi chapter of Kappa Delta received its charter on May 5, 1917, becoming the 30th chartered chapter of the national sorority.
The chapter first rented space in a house on Wait Avenue, since demolished to make room for Balch Hall. Our current residence at 109 Triphammer Road was purchased in 1923, when North Campus was little more than farmland. The house was expanded several times to make room for our growing membership. Kappa Delta is proud to be one of three Cornell sororities that still own their original properties. Today, the Omega Chi Chapter of Kappa Delta is thriving at Cornell. We are an organization of over 100 diverse, intelligent, talented and strong women.